Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Argh, Want to get some file info on OSX ? Use GetFileInfo …. if you can find it :-)

Having an interesting conversation with Eric Mack about OSX folders and aliases in Notes, and wanted to check the file permissions for a file that isn't playing ball.

Everything I read on the 'net told me to use GetFileInfo - which is part of the OSX Developer Tools.

So I duly launched the Mac App Store, downloaded the Developer Tools ( all 1.5 GB of it ), and …

I still couldn't find GetFileInfo.

According to the documentation, it should be here: -

/usr/bin/GetFileInfo

but ….. it ain't.

After a quick search: -

$ find / | grep -i getfileinfo

I found it here …..

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/GetFileInfo

A quick symlink later: -

$ sudo ln -s /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/GetFileInfo /usr/bin/GetFileInfo

and the job … she is done :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment